Sunday, April 25, 2010

Seth and Velma Ferguson Home

Known for many, many years as the Ferguson house, home of Seth, Velma, Sandra and Sheryl.  The home was sold in 2008 and now belongs to another family.

It sits across from the Crayne Presbyterian Church on Crayne Cemetery Road.  For the most part it looks as it did all my life.  The carport was added on in later years, but the front of the home looks the same.  The swing-frame that is on the left of the picture has been there for over 60 years.  I'm sure the swing is a different one, but Sheryl and I have sit many a  times in that swing that was there previously.

I don't know what happened to it, or when it was removed, but in the 1950's and 60's ,and probably many years before, there was a real windmill that sit in the area behind the swing.  I've often wondered what happened to that windmill and what was the history behind it.

The steps of the front porch are large sandstone rocks, and I've been told that they were stones from the old sandstone quarry that was located several miles down the road, that I told about in a previous posting.  Also the foundation for the basement was built with these stones.

Lots of childhood memories are connected to this house and my friends the Ferguson's that lived there.

No comments: